Amelia's PT got her a nice "dynamic stander" which she can use to be in the upright position, standing up safely. At first, when I saw the thing - I could not imagine Amelia in it but sure enough - she enjoys this new perspective. She only uses it for 1/2 hour daily as recommended by PT. Amelia is very well supported and does not seem to object all the straps. We come up with different ideas how to play while she is captured in the stander. Perhaps it does not look like a lot of fun but she tolerates it very well. This thing is a loaner so it was not made specially for Amelia. But Christina (PT) customized it for Amelia. She added a little tiny stool as it was too big for Ami. And it works great.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Amelia's new chariot
Amelia's PT got her a nice "dynamic stander" which she can use to be in the upright position, standing up safely. At first, when I saw the thing - I could not imagine Amelia in it but sure enough - she enjoys this new perspective. She only uses it for 1/2 hour daily as recommended by PT. Amelia is very well supported and does not seem to object all the straps. We come up with different ideas how to play while she is captured in the stander. Perhaps it does not look like a lot of fun but she tolerates it very well. This thing is a loaner so it was not made specially for Amelia. But Christina (PT) customized it for Amelia. She added a little tiny stool as it was too big for Ami. And it works great.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Kasia, I just have a concern-why does the PT feel Amelia needs to stand in a walker as opposed to letting her stand on her own when she is ready? I was just wondering, not that I am in any way critcizing. Just to give you an idea Preston stood after his first brithday but did not walk independently until 16 1/2 months. She does look simply precious though and seems to be tolerating it!
ReplyDeleteKim, I know it's not common in achondroplasia and before we agreed to that we made sure it's absolutely safe for Amelia.
ReplyDeleteShe is nowhere near standing up, she is not even sitting well, and she is not expected to walk before her second birthday so she needs a little help with her mobility especially because she wants to be in upright position and excersaucer is not a good solution. This will also help her move around the house, its good for her leg muscles and overall development. This is also a temporary thing until she will get a walker when she is ready and her legs are stronger. I talked to achon mums who praised the walkers although I have not meet anybody who used dynamic stander. Thanks Kim for your concerns, I really appreciate it! I did not expect any comments to this post, as this idea might seem a bit too revolutionary
She looks like she should have a crown on while in her chariot! :) I had the same concern as Kim since we were always told to wait until Simon could stand on his own (he's undiagnosed though), but it sounds like you did your research beforehand.
ReplyDelete