Amelia 2 days after the surgery playing with her toys and smiling like nothing happened....

Last Monday, July 6, Amelia had decompression surgery - professional name - suboccipital craniectomy for cervicomedullary decompression. She did extremelly well, so did her neurosurgeon! The preparations for the surgery took longer than the surgery itself totaling a little over 3 hours all together. Luckily there were no compications. I was able to see Amelia immediately after she got transferred from the operation room to the Pediatric ICU. She looked good. Sleepy but quite comfortable. This picture, with her medical team, was taken right then.
Doctor said that she really needed this surgery as her foramen magnum opening was very tight and he had to remove bone in few places. But it was all worthwhile. Her breathing improved tremendously, her oxygen saturation also jumped up. The monitor on the picture above is showing 100% oxygen saturation! What a relief. The surgery was over before 5 pm and she started nursing at 8 pm! Just like during her sleep study - I requested that she stays in a big bed instead of the crib (cage) so I can lie down next to her and nurse without the need to move her too much :-) Next morning, after her anesthesia wore off, she started to feel painful. I was told that they avoided narcotics on purpose, as they can alter neurological exam. Well, I told them that she needs something as she refused to nurse. Nobody certainly wanted that to happen or else keep her uncomfortable so she got a tylenol+codeine cocktail and started feeling well again. She slept most of the time in the hospital. Everybody was so accommodating and helpful! Last Thursday, only 3 days after the surgery, we were back home. Ami has been doing great ever since. She is happy, bright, giggly. She is only on Motrin and does not need the tylenol/codeine since coming home from the hospital. We are all so happy that this is over. It was so much harder on us than on her! Now the only wish is to finish her pain medication. She hates is so much! Does not want to swallow it and does everything to avoid it! The better she feels, the greater the resistance! Luckily it is not going to last much longer. Just a few more days :-) Thank you all for your prayers, positive thoughts.


I am so happy to hear that her surgery went so well. And I'm happy to hear that she is doing good after it. Destiny had her ear tubes placed about 1 month ago and it was also harder on us then it was on her.... That how it is when you're a loving parent.
ReplyDeleteSo glad it went well!! They are strong kids! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear Mimi is doing well! What a trooper! What a grat mom she has.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that the surgery went well and little Ami is back to herself, just a little improved! She looks like a porcelain doll in the first picture, what a beauty!
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy that you are feeling better, Amelia! You are a sweet, wonderful baby girl! It is great to see your smile, even in a hospital bed!
ReplyDeleteWhat great news! She is just adorable in all those pictures. Look at her cute precious smile. I am so happy it was a success and worthwhile and that her breathing has already improved! She is a little angel!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear that Amelia did very well!What a sweetheart! I love her smile! I bet you feel so very releived that this is over! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful news! So glad that Amelia came through her surgery and is doing so well! I will continue to pray for her speedy recovery.
ReplyDeleteHej Kasia! Wlasnie przez przypadek zobaczylam Twoj blog na stronie Melissy. Masz wspaniale dzieciaki! Zycze Amelii szybkiej rekonwalescencji.
ReplyDeleteJa wlasnie niedawno zalozylam blog swojej coreczce Hani, ktora urodzila sie z dysplazja diastroficzna. Zapraszam: http://tojahania.blogspot.com/.
Czy moge obserwowac Twoj blog?
Pozdrawiam
Ami is so precious - love her sweet smile! I'm so glad to hear that her surgery went so well, and that it wasn't long before she was back to her happy, giggly self! That's great that her breathing has improved already too! We will continue to pray for her speedy recovery!
ReplyDelete