1. Doctor does not return your phonecall (oh, that' s regarding scary MRI results, what I am going to say? This is something for the neurosurgeon to deal with!)
2. You have to wait 1.5 hour to see the doctor
3. The nurse is asking about reaching average child's milestones - like is she sitting? Is she putting some weight on legs when held upright? (I was glad, she actually did not rush to check on that!)
3. Doctor seems scattered, overwhelmed, impersonal, rushed
4. Doctor only notices and talks about challenges (Amelia has low muscle tone and she needs physical therapy)
5. Doctor does not do a proper physical exam, completely forgetting about ears
6. Doctor does not go over the growth chart
7. Finally you are left in the room not even knowing when to come back again. So you decide not to!
The time to make the decision to move on of course comes much earlier than that. But we get attached, we like giving people chances, we are only humans, and we all make mistakes. But some mistakes are just unforgettable. Aren't they?
So we found another doctor. New, fresh spark of energy. She has attributes we were looking for, and she answers to my e-mails. How cool is that?


Good for you!!! Our kids' health is way too important!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's very cool! You have made the best decision ever! I wish you a lot of luck with the new doctor. My old pediatrician was scatterbrained at times with achon-even once trying to pull Preston up by his arms when he was three months old. I almost had a heart attack! You are Mimi's champion and you are doing wonderful! Go Mommy!
ReplyDeleteGood for you!!! It is so much better to have a Dr that wants to work with you and is willing to learn about your child! Good luck with this one!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you found someone you love! Amelia and her family deserve the best!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that you have found one and hopefully this one is alot more caring to your family needs
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you found a new pediatrician that already sounds much better than the last one! I hope she continues to be a great doctor for Amelia and you! That is awesome that she answers your e-mails!
ReplyDeleteI feel very fortunate that Simon has a pediatrician that is always interested in learning more about his dwarfism and I have his cell number to reach him at any time, which I wonder if he regrets giving to me sometimes. :)
hmm... yes, I would think doctor should appreciate the chance to learn something new and to feel that this child and parents need a special attention.
ReplyDeleteForgetting to check the ears is something I wouldn't forgive the doctor for, even if it was an average height child!
Hope everything will be better now. BTW - didn't find the cotten blanket :( will look more today
Good for you! I hope this new doctor works out wonderfully! I feel so blessed to have a pediatrician who has family members with OI, my daughters type of dwarfism. I think I really lucked out on that one! :)
ReplyDeleteYour family is beautiful! We had our first son on July 4th 2009 and shortly after his birth found out he has achondroplasia. It is great to read the stories of families that have experienced the things we are experiencing.
ReplyDeleteGood luck Aimee in you new, exciting journey! Reading stories among our blogging circle of parents of achon babies you will find out that it is rich, exciting, funny, rewarding, sometimes troubled but always full of love, compassion and helpful people around :-) We are waiting for your story and a new blog! Blessings to your new baby and all family :-)
ReplyDeleteKASIA