Amelia wants to seat up without support and she to pulls forward everytime she sits on my lap or when we sit together on the floor. Of course we do not let her to sit by herself yet (except this one time to take this picture below!) as her back muscles and the spine are not strong enough quite yet, and we do everything not to reinforce her kyphosis. Actually we must be doing something right as Amelia's physical therapist said that even though kyphosis usually gets worse at this stage (when kids try to sit without support) her kyphisis did not. She even noticed that the kyphosis "soften" a little, seems more flexed and we are on a right track to correcting it. To hear that it was such a relief! I really do a lot to prevent this kyphosis from getting worse in terms of exercises, proper positioning, etc. Amelia will see her ortho next week and will have her first x-ray taken so we will talk more about the kyphosis and it's evaluation. Amelia turned one and if I remember well at this age babies with achondroplasia usually are about to sit without support and it should be ok to allow that. What are your thoughts on that and your personal experience?
I would hate to let Amelia do something she is not ready for....
Happy 1st Birthday Amelia!!!!! The pictures are all so wonderful! Sonya did not sit up until she was about a year old. She also has scoliosis in combination with her kyphosis. We let her do things on her own, we didn't use many sitting aids. We did have a bebe pod (like the bumbo seat) but we only used it once in a while. We steared clear of jumpers (since she could fracture her spine that way, an OI thing). Right now her scoliosis and kyphosis are still in the OK zone... but since Sonya's OI is very different from Achon, others will have better info for you and Ami! Hugs to the birthday girl! :)
ReplyDeleteI recall Preston starting to pull about about 7 months and by 7 1/2 I helped him along with the boppy. His kyphosis reversed completely once he started to walk. I never used a Bumbo seat because I was afraid he could tip it over. She does look absolutely precious in that picture!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to hear how well Amelia is doing and that her kysphosis has softened a little! She looks so adorable in that picture!
ReplyDeleteSimon does not have kyphosis and has an undiagnosed bent bone dysplasia, so I do not have as much advice as others will probably have for you, but Simon did not sit unsupported until he was about 14 months old. Once he started pulling himself up to stand, he could get into a sitting position from standing, but did not do so before then. We did not use any sitting aids with him either.
Trace started sitting unsupported at about 9 months, and we let him do it. From all I've been told and read, if they child is doing it on their own, it is okay. Trace's kyphosis cleared up when he started walking.
ReplyDeleteThat's great for Amelia. I can't really remember what Nate did but I let him decide what he could do and never forced anything. His kyphosis was minimal and once he started to pull himself up and began to walk it was gone. Keep up the good work!!
ReplyDelete