I was deeply moved by his music. I love piano, I even sometimes play it and I listen to great pianists like Keith Jarrett. I just listened to a very talented pianist Chris Errera who overcame the challenge of being born with diastriphic displasia. I found out about him reading the blog of Nicole from Hong Kong who has little baby Maddy with the same condition. His work and what he says is so inspiring that I just had to note it right here on Amelia's blog.
"Don't pity me. I'm doing just fine. I've lived a life that I'm very proud of, and I'm happy... If I feel sorry about myself, then people are only going to know how to feel sorry for me. It's life. I'm in the game... I don't want them when they look at me to see the disability, I want them to look at me and see the ability. The ability of what I have. The things I can bring to society. How I can be an actual player in society that benefits people... And that's my job. And that's what I feel is my gift."
And what Nicole said touched my heart as well:
I've been realising that people who are born with things like this have both a blessing and a curse - it is a blessing because people who are "different" are memorable. People will notice Maddy. People will watch her and give her more attention just because she's not what they expect to see. On one hand, that's an amazing opportunity as well as a difficult struggle. It's an opportunity because she will have peoples' full attention, and if she can capture it, it will be able to open doors for her that may not have existed if she were "just like everyone else". However I also know that Maddy won't be able to have "off days" where she can slip under the radar and go do her groceries without being stared at, talked about or approached about her differences. I know that all that attention can also be intrusive and even cruel at times. But I also know that it is what you make of it. And here's praying that like Chris, she'll learn how to make lemonade :)
I know Amelia has a gift. I know she will touch peoples' hearts and souls, that she will make a difference of making this world a better place, even if this will be only her little world inside a big world and the parallel worlds of people she will cross paths with. I cry when I read stories like the one about Chris because that confirms my strong belief that nothing is impossible if you follow your heart's calling. I believe that being special is a gift. Amelia is a gift to us and to everybody she meets.
Wiem ze Amelia ma w sobie dar. Wiem, ze dotknie w swoim zyciu wiele serc i dusz ludzkich, ze przyczyni sie do tego ze swiat bedzie chocby odrobine lepszy, nawet jesli to tylko bedzie jej maly swiatek w w wielkim swiecie i rownolegle swiaty ludzi z ktorymi przetna sie jej drogi. Placze ze wzruszenia czytajac historie zycia ja ta Chirsa bo to tylko utwierdza mnie w przekonaniu ze nie ma rzeczy niemozliwych jesli tylko idzie sie za glosem serca. Wierze ze bycie innym niz wiekszosc to dar. Amelia jest darem dla wszystkich ktorzy maja szczescie poznac ja blizej.
Bardzo wzruszyla mnie jego muzyka. Uwielbiam pianino, nawet sama czasem pogrywam i czesto slucham wybitnych pianistow jak Keith Jarrett. Ostatnio sluchalam utalentowanego pianisty Chrisa Errere ktory pokonal swoje ograniczenia ktore niesie choroba z ktora sie urodzil - dysplazja diastroficzna. Dowiedzialam sie o nim na blogu NIcole z Hong Kongu ktora ma mala coreczke Maddy z ta sama choroba. Muzyka Chrisa i to co mowi o swoim zyciu tak bardzo mnie zainspirowalo ze musialam zanotowac to tutaj na blogu Amelki.
"Nie litujcie sie nade mna. Swietnie sobie radze. Jestem dumny z mojego zycia i jestem bardzo szczesliwy.. Jesli zaczne sie nad soba uzalac otaczajacy mnie ludzie beda znali tylko to uczucie zalu nade mna. Takie jest zycie, jestem czescia tej gry... Nie chce zeby ludzie patrzac na mnie widzieli niemoznosc, niepelnosprawnosc, chce zeby widzieli co dobrze mi wychodzi, zdolnosci ktore posiadam. Umiejetnosci ktore cos nosza do spoleczenstwa, jak moge byc czlonkiem spoleczenstwa ktoremu moge cos zaoferowac. I to jest moja praca i to jest moj dar od zycia."
To co napisala Nicole tez mnie bardzo wzruszylo:
Zdalam sobie sprawe ze ludzie ktorzy urodzili sie z podobnymi przypadlosciami doswaidczaja blogoslawienstwa i przeklenstwa jednoczesnie. Jest to w pewnym sensie blogoslawienstwo bo ludzie w jakis sposob odmieni zapadaja w pamiec, ludzie beda zauwazac Maddy. Beda zwarac na nia uwage poniewaz jest inna od tego czego oczekuja, stadardow. Z jednej strony otwiera to wiele mozliwosci drugiej to trudna walka. Mozliwosci moga wynikac z tego ze majac stuprocentowa uwage ludzi ktorej nie doswiadczylaby nigdy bedac jak kazdy inny przecietny czlowiek. WIem tez ze Maddy nie bedzie miala "dni wolnych" do tego rodzaju uwagi, nie bedzie mogla wyskoczyc do sklepu bez ludzi wpatrujacych sie w nia, rozmawiajacych o niej lub pytajacych o jej kondycje. Zdaje sobie sprawe ze to zainteresowanie moze byc czasem nieznosne i okrutne, ale wiem tez ze wszystko zalezy od tego co sie z tym zrobi, jak zareaguje. Mam nadzieje ze tak jak Chris nauczy sie robic lemoniade.
Wiem ze Amelia ma w sobie dar. Wiem, ze dotknie w swoim zyciu wiele serc i dusz ludzkich, ze przyczyni sie do tego ze swiat bedzie chocby odrobine lepszy, nawet jesli to tylko bedzie jej maly swiatek w w wielkim swiecie i rownolegle swiaty ludzi z ktorymi przetna sie jej drogi. Placze ze wzruszenia czytajac historie zycia ja ta Chirsa bo to tylko utwierdza mnie w przekonaniu ze nie ma rzeczy niemozliwych jesli tylko idzie sie za glosem serca. Wierze ze bycie innym niz wiekszosc to dar. Amelia jest darem dla wszystkich ktorzy maja szczescie poznac ja blizej.


If this was Facebook, I'd press "Like"!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post! I agree. Preston gets CONSTANT attention everywhere we go, but some days I just want to grocery shop. I know he's cute and no one ever asks me questions (other than age) but sometimes you just want to shop. I mean I guess I should be flattered, but sometimes you do want to be under the radar!
ReplyDeleteLove this post! So awesome! I just checked out your last post too, I am super behind here yet again in blog world! I hope Amelias next MRI/ CT scan results are good and that she can avoid another decompression surgery! We will keep her in our prayers! I LOVE the table and chair idea! Hmmm... I might just have to make another trip to IKEA! :)
ReplyDelete