Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Amelia will have surgery

Oh boy! And it is happening. We were afraid of it and tried to prepare for it but the news still came as a bit of a shock.... Yesterday's MRI clearly confirmed that there is a foramen magnum stenosis and mild indentation of the cervical medullary junction so Amelia is scheduled to have decompression surgery July 6th.
The MRI lasted only 5 minutes but for me and Ami it was the worst, longest, creepiest 5 minutes in our life together.... I was inside the tube with her, it did not help her a lot as I was trying to restrain her and she hated it! Luckily there was no anesthesia involved. I did not know that MRI was so noisy! They gave us ear plugs but it only helped a little.
Then we saw pediatric neurosurgeon and he said that he would not like to wait too long with the surgery. Amelia would not "outgrow" it and it can only get worse pressing the spinal cord. The bad thing is that the spinal fluids cannot flow freely so her head had grown more than it supposed to. The not-so-great results of the sleep study are most likely caused by this compression.
So we hope and pray for the best results, successful surgery, and speedy recovery but at the same time we are afraid of complications, nerve damage etc. The doc said it is "a serious surgery". Please send Amelia your best.....

11 comments:

  1. She will do just fine, try not to worry too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll continue praying for you guys! Ami will do a lot better than you with the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you know that Amelia and your family are in our thoughts every day! Your beautiful girl will be strong and do well...you will be even more proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this must be so scary for you. Please know Amelia will be in our thoughts and prayers, and I have no doubt that she will do wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kasia, I'm sorry that you didn't get better news. I will be praying for Amelia and your family. She is a strong and happy little girl and I know she will do well and feel better after the surgery. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear the tough news! Hang in there, she will do great and we will have her in our prayers! Sending you many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amelia will be in my prayers. She will do very well-Alex posted all about Anais' surgery on her blog and she went through with no problems! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kasia, we will keep Amelia in our thought and I'll pray for her that she will went through all the surgery very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only imagine how tough it is to get this news. We will continue to pray for Amelia! She will do great - she's a tough little girl! Keep us posted! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She will be in my prayers and she will do great

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kasia!
    Good luck with the surgery! I will be anxious to hear all about it. We still aren't sure if Caden will need the decompression surgery.

    ReplyDelete