Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sleep study results

I am not sure what to think about the results, seriously. Amelia has Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome as the found evidence of some mild to moderate obstructive apneas (AHI > 4/hr - I am not sure what that means.) They say that the episodes were "short" in duration, but 12 seconds does not sound short to me! There were also some central apneas, or as they say in the report "central pauses" in average 3,4 per hour with an average duration of 7 seconds. Average oxygen saturation was 96%. Oh boy...
The doctor who called me with the results said that there is nothing alarming and I am under impression that there is also nothing life threatening. Apparently her oxygen intake is good enough. They did not recommend any treatment just to repeat study in 6 months.
I just cannot imagine her not breathing for 12 long seconds! How is that - nothing to worry about? This coming Monday we will see what neurosurgeon will have to say and how these results are affected by the spinal cord pressure. I am starting to fear that decompression surgery will be inevitable.... 

5 comments:

  1. These test results sometimes make my head spin! I hope I can reassure you that Amelia's results don't seem to be that bad. Ivy had approximately 10 episodes an hour of obstructive apnea. Because the apnea was largely obstructive and not central, the neurosurgeon did not feel that compression was causing the sleep apnea. By comparison, Amelia seems to be doing better! :) That is good news! I believe treatment for obstructive apnea involves the eventual removal of adnoids and tonsils if it continues to be a problem. Good luck on Monday! We'll be thinking of you and Amelia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The AHI is the number of apneas per hour...4 really isn't that bad. A ox sat of 96% is good. I'm not sure of the number of central apneas that is considered normal, your neurosurgeon should be able to discuss that. I'll be keeping your family in my prayers and waiting on the update after the doctor visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine how tough all this is! From what Amy and Destini have said it sounds like it isn't too bad though. Either way any amount of time that your baby stops breathing can be very upsetting! You are all in our prayers and we wish you good luck on Monday! Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what any numbers mean but like Destini, I believe the neurosurgeon would be the best resource for you. And if she does need the surgery, kids sail through this! I know it is hard not to worry but Mimi will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine how tough it is to take in all of these numbers and wonder what they all mean in the long run. Hopefully, the neurosurgeon will be able to answer all of your questions and ease your concerns. We'll praying for you guys, and wish you luck on Monday!

    ReplyDelete