I am a big fan of simple solutions, I prefer to reuse something, innovate, rather than buying a new thing. So I found Ollie's umbrella stroller in the garage today. I know, we are not supposed to use this type of strollers for our kids with achondroplasia to avoid c-shaped back and reinforcing kyphosis. But I had an idea to make a sturdy back support. I used 3 layers of thick cardboard wrapped up in a colorful pillowcase (with animal prints). I have to think about some softer padding, as I probably overdid this "hard back support" idea. The project is not finished in terms of seat support as well. Today Amelia was sitting on a book but I have to come up with something more user friendly :-) Once I install a padding in the back, the stroller will also fit Amelia better and her legs will naturally dangle instead of shooting up in the air. It's probably impossible to buy light umbrella stroller designed with the innovations I described but it's easy enough to make it at home. I am so proud of myself.
This is how happy she was in this light, toddler stroller. She loves new things!
Today Christina, Amelia's PT, pointed on the fact that Amelia should be sitting in the chair (high or low) with her legs bent down rather than straight (just like on the picture with the umbrella stroller) and preferably with foot support. This will promote healthy, straight posture. It's more natural, just like we sit in a chair and rest the legs against the floor. Well, her regular chairs at home are not meant for a little person with short legs so there is not way we can accomplish that, she sits in these high chairs like she would sit on the floor. So hopefully with our insurance's little help we will be ordering Keekaroo Hight Right chair which has all the necessary adaptations and what's also very important - will have an adjustable feet support.
We actually will not need the cushion but it comes with a foamy back support. Amelia tried it today and liked it very much. Sit as well as feet support move up and down and also back and forth. Very smart chair. Some people like smart phones, I like smart chairs.
Today (what a big day!) I also ordered for Amelia two fantastic developmental things. One is a foam belly scooter like this:
And I also got EDUCUBE - set of two chairs which can turn into tables or set of chair and the table and much more. Amelia tried it today and she loved it. It's very versatile. Her feet touch the floor while she is sitting (almost standing) in it and she can also safely turn around in this it can be used for all sorts of activities - eating, playing etc. Quite fascinating.I think this is my longest post ever, everybody is sleeping by now. My family in beds and everybody reading this post :-)
Jestem wielkim zwolennikiem prostych rozwiazan, wole uzyc ponownie, ulepszyc niz kupic cos nowego, a dzis akurat znalazlam w garazu wozek Olivka ktorego nawet nie chcial uzywac gdy byl w Amelki wieku. Doskonale zdaje sobie sprawe ze nie powinno sie uzywac tego typu wozkow -parasolek w przypadku dzieci z achondroplazja zeby uniknac wykrzywienia plecow i pogorszenia kyfozy (Amelka ma takie wlasnie niewielkie skrzywienie), ale dzis wpadlam na pomysl jak usztywnic oparcie zeby wozek mogl dobrze sluzyc Amelce. Uzylam do teg ocelu trzech warstw sztywnego kartonu owinietych w kolorowa poszewke ze zwierzatkami. Wyszlo super, moze nawet za sztywno i musze pomyslec o warstwie gabki zeby nie bylo jej za twardo w plecy. Podobnie z siedzeniem, to na razie projekt otwarty, dzis Amelka jezdzila na ksiazce ale rowniez musze pomyslec o rozwiazaniu bardziej przyjaznym dla uzytkownika. Pomysl zagospodarownia nowego wozeczka bardzo sie Amelce spodobal i na zdjeciach widac jaka jest szczesliwa. Jak zainstaluje za plecami gabke to nawet wozek bedzie plytszy i nozki beda jej naturalnie zwisaly. Takiego plytkiego wozka dla Amelki raczej nie mozna nigdzie kupic, ale mozna samemu zrobic. Jestem z siebie bardzo dumna.
Dzisiaj takze Amelki fizykoterapeutka Christina zwrocila uwage na fakt ze na tym etapie siedzac w wysokim (czy na zwyklym) krzeselku powinna przyjac postawe bardziej naturalna, ze zgietymi nogami a nie wyprostowanymi (jak na zdjeciu w wozku- parasolce) i najlepiej z oparciem na nogi. To pozwala ksztaltowac dobra, zdrowa postawe. Takie usytuowanie jest bardziej naturalne jak w przypadku nas doroslych gdy siedzimy na krzesle opierajac nogi o podloge. Jej domowe krzeselka nie zostaly zaprojektowane z mysla o tak malej osobce jak Ami wiec trudno ja w taki zdrowy sposob usadzic i siedzi w nich w ten sam sposob co na podlodze. Teraz mamy nadzieje ze z pomoca naszej ubezpieczalni zamowimy takie specjalne krzeslo ktore ma te wszystkie potrzebne innowacje, w tym podporke na nogi. Zdjecie zamiescilam powyzej. Krzeselko jest piekne, jestem zachwycona. Amelia dzis w nim siedziala i tez jej sie podobalo. Zarowno czesc do siedzenia jak i podporka od nogi mozna ustawic dowolnie przesuwajac do gory i w dol a takze do tylu i do przodu. Bardzo madre krzeslo :-)
Dzisiaj tez zamowilam Amelce dwie fantastyczne, rozwojowe rzeczy. Taka mala platforme na kolkach slozaca do jezdzenia na brzuszku (zdjecie rowniez powyzej) i zestaw EDUCUBE
dwoch plastikowych foteli - bryl ktore maga byc rowniez stolikami, Amelia to ustrojstwo dzis wyprobowala (jedno jako krzeslo drugie jako stol) i pod wieoma wzgldami jest rewelacyjne, Amelka siedza na tym dotyka stopkami ziemi, w pozycji tak pionowej ze prawie sama wstaje jednoczesnie caly czas sie rekami wspiera, poza tym bepiecznie sie w tym przekreca i moze przy tym jesc, rysowac, dowolnie sie bawic. Zdjecie powyzej. Cuda, cudenka...
To chyba moj najdluzszy do tej pory post, epopeja! Juz chyba wszyscy spia, rodzina w lozkach i wszyscy czytajacy ten post.





Amelia looks so very happy in those pictures. What a great looking supportive high chair for her.
ReplyDeleteYay for home innovations! Amelia looks so happy in her "new" stroller! She's so adorable and so happy all of the time!! That high chair looks awesome! Those foam belly scooters look like so much fun, and I'm going to have to google those EDUCUBES since I think Simon would love a set! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete