Thursday, April 16, 2009

Snorting concerns - what to do?

Lately I have been very concerned about Amelia making snorting sounds. It almost reminds a runny nose, except nothing is coming out (excuse me being picturesque!)
She used to do that a bit but it intensified last couple of weeks. I called her pediatrician, a wonderful doctor, and she recommended saline drops applications (especially before feedings) and caring Amelia in slightly elevated position. I asked about perhaps seeing ENT specialist but she said that it would not be very helpful at this time. I wonder if this snorting is something I should worry about and try to investigate or just leave it alone? It is sometimes very uncomfortable to her, especially during nursing. At night she is OK but when she wakes up that rough sound of forceful breathing comes back, then it goes away and so on. Is that a comon condition in achondroplastic children? I remember when Ollie was Ameila's age he used to snort a little too. Is that normal?

4 comments:

  1. One thing you will learn is pediatricians are great for everyday baby stuff but most are morons when it comes to achon. I would have her evaluated by an ENT. It is never too early. Has she had a sleep study done? These are things an ENT is more proficient with. Yes, saline drops will celar her passages, but if she has apnea a pediatrician will not be able to diagnose. I am not trying to scare you at all, just from experience know that pediatricians are not all knowing. It cannot hurt and it may just be typical achon breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100% with what Kim just said. I think you should have her seen by an ENT and ask about doing a sleep study. Anaïs' first ENT visit was when she was about 2 months old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I don't have experience with achondroplasia (Simon is undiagnosed), I do agree with Kim that while pediatricians are great for everyday baby stuff, it is never too early to be evaluated by an ENT.
    In the meantime, we have found that the saline drops really help when Simon sounds nasally. Also, when Simon was younger he used to sleep on an incline wedge (sold at Babies R Us and other places) that went under his crib sheet to help with his breathing/apnea, which might help Amelia have less of that forceful breathing sound when she wakes up (something you could ask her doctor about).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for you great help and support! Amelia will have a sleep study following the consult in early May! Jamie, I will most definitely look into using an incline wedge, sounds like a very good idea!
    Big thanks to you all, I realy appreciate it :-)

    ReplyDelete